Industrial & Systems Engineering, BS at USC
Los Angeles, CA <08/13-05/16>
Evan flies across the country from Boston to Los Angeles for his undergraduate degree. He knows he wants to start a business someday, so he believes an ISE degree will get him a good mix of business and tech.
But in windowless concrete classrooms, he finds himself bored and not connected with the greater world.
He wants something more, so Evan decides to take a gap year and joins a one-year startup apprenticeship program called Praxis.
Revenue Operations Generalist at Dose Media
Chicago, IL <08/16-01/17>
Evan chooses the "viral" CEO and 23-year-old prodigy to learn from for his apprenticeship. At DOSE, he writes and uploads thousands of Facebook Ads that have been collectively shared over 55k times. He also gets to lead a creative video campaign for a client.
He learns how to manage a sales funnel using Salesforce, Hubspot, and Marketo. Because he's so interested, he even gets his Salesforce Admin Certification using his own money.
Sales and Marketing Assistant
at Center for Industrial Progress
Houston, TX <02/17-05/17>
Evan lands a job with the thought-provoking Alex Epstein, NYT Bestselling Author and Speaker.
Evan helps CIP improve their communication as a remote company, and designs 10 sales enabling PDFs, films 3 videos for an online informational product and improves the Salesforce instance by creating workflows and reports to streamline information.
Growth Marketing on Upwork
Boston, MA and Los Angeles, CA <05/17-Present>
After his contract with Alex ends, Evan decides that he wants to try being a freelancer. One of the biggest values in Evan's life is freedom, so this seems like the right fit.
He ends up writing 2 month's worth of content for an EdTech startup, creating email funnels for a legal software startup, and leading a whole marketing campaign that 2Xs the amount of signups for a semester-long Yoga Teacher Training Program in California.
He becomes one of Upwork's Top Rated freelancers and earns a Rising Talent badge. On the side, he edits videos for a startup (example 1 and example 2) the first of which went viral on Facebook (580K views and 6K shares!).
But... freelancing life took a toll on Evan.
Now he's looking for a startup to call his home.
and on to the next journey...
Random creative things
- My Instagram
- My YouTube
- Drone feature on Investors.com (0:45): Why The Next Apple Could Come From A Drone Wildcatter
- My old blog (100+ posts): The Otter Guys
Books I've read (+ links to reviews and blogs)
Entrepreneurship, Self-Learning, and Personal Development
- The Education of Millionaires by Michael Ellsberg
- Unlimited Memory by Kevin Horsley
- The Virgin Way by Richard Branson
- Choose Yourself by James Altucher
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss (Amazon review + blog post)
- Nail the Interview, Land the Job by Michelle Tillis Lederman (Amazon review + blog post)
- The Crossroads of Should and Must by Elle Luna (Amazon review + blog post)
- Zero to One by Peter Thiel
- Lean Six Sigma for Beginners by G. Harver
- The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles by Jeffrey Liker
- Stand Out by Dorie Clark
- The Last Safe Investment by Bryan Franklin and Michael Ellsberg
- The End of Jobs by Taylor Pearson
- How to Find Fulfilling Work by Roman Krznaric
Sales, Marketing, and Copywriting
- The No B.S. Guide to Direct Sales Marketing by Dan S. Kennedy
- Everybody Writes by Ann Handley (Amazon review + blog post)
- Brainfluence by Roger Dooley (Amazon review + blog post)
- Made to Stick by Dan and Chip Heath (blog post)
- Influence by Robert Cialdini
- The Anatomy of Buzz Revisited by Emanuel Rosen (blog post)
Philosophy, Economics, and Social Dynamics
- Freedom Feminism: Its Surprising History and Why It Matters Today by Christina Hoff Sommers
- Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt
- The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul
- Liberty Defined: 50 Essential Issues that Affect Our Freedom by Ron Paul
- The School Revolution: A New Answer for Our Broken Education System by Ron Paul
- The Constitution: Understanding America's Founding Document by Michael S. Greve
- Deschooling Society by Ivan Illich
- The Defining Decade by Meg Jay (Amazon review + blog post)